Raisins – High Potassium RecipesJune 10, 2010
Raisins, along with many other dried fruits (especially apricots), are notably high in potassium. Raisins, in fact, used widely as natural medicine. Raisins elevate some of the benefits of grapes when they are dried, either in driers or in the sun, and become like little sweet gems.
Raisins provide relief for constipation. When eaten, raisins swell and the fibre in them absorbs water.
Raisins are a good natural source for gaining weight. Raisins are full of glucose and fructose and you gain a lot of energy. Athletes and body builders especially should include raisins in their diets. This is also good for individuals who like to put on weight without accumulating too much cholesterol.
The acid in our blood gives way to many health issues, such as skin diseases, boils, gout, intestinal damage, heart disease, cancer and hair loss. Raisins help lessen this acidity. The acidity is neutralised and acidosis is kept under control.
Raisins contain the iron which is vital for people suffering from anemia. Raisins also assist with blood formation.
Potassium Rich Foods Recipe – Raisins
Raisins add flavor to stews, salads and curried. The also borrow the flavors and soak up the liquid until they are bursting with flavors. Try them as a sugar substitute sometime.
I. Apple-Raisin Crumb Pie
1 9”pastry shell, unbaked
6 apples, sliced
½ cup (75 grams) of raisins
6 tablespoons (75 grams) of sugar
2 tablespoons (16 grams) of flour
1 cup (16 ounces) of sour cream
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon (5 grams) of vanilla
Salt to taste
½ cups (62 grams) of self rising flour
¼ cups (50 grams) of brown sugar
1/3 cups (75 grams) of butter
1 teaspoon (5 grams) of cinnamon
Nutmeg to sprinkle
1. Mix the apples and raisins together and fill in the unbaked pastry shell.
2. Stir flour with sugar, and fold in cream. Add beaten egg, vanilla and salt.
3. Sour cream can be substituted with fresh cream, but sour is the better option.
4. Apply cream mixture over apples and raisins.
5. Bake for at least 40 minutes at 350`. The Pie should turn out golden brown.
6. Combine Sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg and blend together in 1/3 cup of butter until it is crumbly.
7. Drizzle crumbs
II. Fig Raisin Spice Cake
This delicious cake is made of fresh figs and raisins. This cake can also be baked in a square pan of 8 or 9 inches.
1 cup (199 grams) of fresh figs, chopped
1 cup (150 grams) of raisins
2 cups (125 grams) of flour, all purpose
2 teaspoons (4 grams) of baking powder
2 teaspoons (10 grams) of cinnamon
½ teaspoon (2.5 grams) of nutmeg
¼ teaspoon (1.5 grams) of salt
¼ teaspoon of allspice
½ cup (95 grams) of solid shortening
1 cup (200 grams) of brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1. Apply grease in a loaf pan. Preheat oven at 375 F.
2. Cover raisins and figs in boiling water for at least 15 minutes until plump.
3. Drain well and dry with paper towels.
4. Use a medium bowl and whisk flour, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, baking powder and salt together. Keep aside.
5. Use a large bowl and combine cream shortening and brown sugar together until fluffy. Beat in eggs.
6. Add the flour mixture, little at a time to the wet ingredients. Blend it until smooth. Fold in raisins and figs.
7. Pour into pan and bake for 40 minutes. Let it cool to room temperature and then serve.
Preparation Time and Cooking Time: 55 minutes